Turkey is a delicacy that is relished during several festivals including Thanksgiving. Cooking the best turkey for your friends and family at such occasions is definitely a challenging job as it involves sharp knives, popping joints, and roasted flesh. This is why we are here with the correct guidance for you to make delicious and juicy turkey this Thanksgiving.
Steps to cook turkey:
There are several steps involved in the process of making a perfect turkey. The main steps include-
- Selecting the turkey: The most important thing in this task is to select the right turkey. Prefer selecting a turkey that weighs between 12 and 16 pounds as a turkey larger than this would turn out to be too chewy.
- Defrosting: It is very important for you to thaw the turkey before you place it for cooking. Make sure that you defrost the turkey much before the festive day as it takes good time for the process to complete.
- Cleaning: Once thawing is over, you will need to clean the turkey properly. Wash it properly in cold water and save the giblets for the gravy.
- Brining and buttering: The next step is to brine the turkey to ensure that it doesn’t get to dry and holds all the juice to enhance the overall taste. After this, once the turkey has been brined, wipe the outer surface of it with some melted butter.
- Placing in oven: Take a wide and low roasting pan and keep the turkey on it. Since each pond of turkey needs 15-20 minutes of cooking, cook the turkey for around 3 and a half hours if it weighs 12 to 16 pounds.
- Basting: After the turkey is cooked for an hour, start basting it with melted butter and chopped rosemary in every 30 minutes. Once you start seeing a deep mahogany colour on the turkey, your bird is ready to be served.
In addition to all these steps, another thing that is equally important is the carving of the turkey. Make sure that you carve it patiently and evenly to enjoy the turkey without all the messy grease.